Define your beauty!

14 March 2012

Curl your lashes!



This is a question I get asked often: Does curling eyelashes damage them?  My answer: only if you do it wrong! If you’re pulling or tugging the eyelashes, then you’re not doing it properly… I’ve been curling my eyelashes everyday for more than 10 years now and my eyelashes are in very good condition. I curl my lashes even when I’m not wearing any makeup at all, as it opens my eyes and makes me feel more awake!

My favourite curler is Shu Uemura as it fits my eye shape best. Most people will find this suitable, but you can try the MAC one if the Shu has too much of a curve. I like to sanitise mine every week (using Beauty So Clean) to make sure there’s no bacteria building up ( that can cause an eye infection) and I change the pad every six months or so. 

Once you find a suitable eyelash curler, it’s time to practice! Make sure your eyelashes are clean before curling them. Apply soft pressure at the roots of the lashes to make sure no skin is tugging ( curling your eyelashes should NOT be painful). Once you’re sure the curlers are placed correctly, apply more pressure and hold for about 5 seconds. You can then repeat the step and place the curlers at the mid and end of your lashes. If your lashes are stubborn you can curl them two or three times, this will not damage them.

I don’t recommend sliding the eyelash curlers up your eyelashes (you could accidentally pull out your eyelashes from the roots) or curl after mascara application ( your lashes will stick to the eyelash curler as the mascara dries). I’m not a fan of heated curlers either, a classic curler should be enough.

As mentioned above I curl my lashes everyday, even when I’m not wearing any makeup. How about you? Do you curl your lashes everyday?

2 comments:

Melody I said...

Ok I'll admit, I don't curl as often as I could/should. Makes all the difference, especially with a great lash curler. I swear by the Shu Uemura as well.

Unknown said...

Lol, I keep my lash curler near the hair brush :) That way I don't have an excuse to forget!